"Her womb was a torture chamber of mother love"

August 09, 2015



Last week Millie and Casey were here for a visit! We took plenty of goofy photos *and* we went into New York for a double feature at The Film Forum. As part of their True Crime series they were showing the Bradford Dillman movie Compulsion (one of the main reasons Millie picked this particular week to visit) and The Girl on the Red Velvet Swing.

Compulsion was an amazing film. The Girl on the Red Velvet Swing was... interesting. It's a 1955 movie starring Joan Collins, Ray Milland and Farley Granger that (not super accurately) depicts the true story of Stanford White's murder. Stanford White was a famous New York architect who had an affair with Evelyn Nesbit before she married her insanely jealous psychopathic husband. Here is the reaction shot we took after we got out of the movie:



If you're interested in learning why we look so horrified, we also filmed this little video for you explaining why the movie scarred us for life and where exactly the line "her womb was a torture chamber of mother love" factored into the story. I'm not making this up.

Bonus! If you start this video en route to Princeton Junction from the Spring Street parking garage, this video will help you with directions *and* you'll have a fun discussion about a terrifying movie to listen to while you're on your way!



3 comments:

Jacqueline T. Lynch said...

This is great. You three should do podcasts while going places and talking about movies.

Millie said...

I just rewatched COMPULSION for the first time since this visit. And I had to look for this post. WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE. But, also, I am cringing out of my skull watching myself in this video but also totally in love with this video. lololol

kate gabrielle said...

When I opened my email and saw I had a blog comment from Millie I thought I had time traveled to 2010 lol! But yeah, good times. I miss this era so much.